Short Fiction Contest for Emerging Writers
$1,500 and publication in Boulevard awarded to the winning story by a writer who has not yet published a book of fiction, poetry, or creative non-fiction with a nationally distributed press.
We are happy to announce that the winning story of the 2016 Fiction Contest for Emerging Writers is Anastasia Selby's "How is Love, What."
Congratulations also to our honorable mentions: "In the Almond Trees" by Faith Merino and "Pavlovich" by Dan Reiter.
- All entries must be postmarked by December 31, 2017 or submitted online by midnight CT.
- Entry fee is $16 for each individual story, with no limit per author, and includes a one-year subscription. Make checks payable to Boulevard.
- Author's name, address, and telephone number, in addition to the story's title and "Boulevard Emerging Writers Contest," should appear on page one.
- Manuscripts should be typed and double spaced.
- Cover sheets are not necessary.
- No manuscripts will be returned.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but previously accepted or published work is ineligible.
- We accept works up to 8,000 words.
- All entries will be considered for publication and for payment at our regular rates.
- Entries will be judged by the editors of Boulevard.
- No one editorially or financially affiliated with Boulevard can enter the contest.
- The winning story will be first announced on the website, traditionally during June, though occasionally earlier, and then published in the follow issue of Boulevard.
- Mail submissions to Boulevard Emerging Writers Contest, PMB 325, 6614 Clayton Road, Richmond Heights, MO 63117 or submit online.
Due to the number of submissions, we cannot respond to each writer individually. Please check the website for notification of the winner.
Joshua Idszak, 2015
Courtney Sender, 2014
Terrance Manning, Jr., 2013
Patrick Nathan, 2012
Joe Haske, 2011
Julia Elliot, 2010
Lauren Foss Goodman, 2009
Marc Watkins, 2008
Theodore Wheeler, 2007
Elizabeth Orndorff, 2005
Eric Puchner, 2004
Phyllis Galley Westover, 2003
Mija Rhee Davine, 2002
Alma Garcia de Lilla, 2000
David Stevenson, 1999
Gina Vivinetto, 1998